Wednesday, June 3, 2009

With so much Drama in the LBC, it's kinda hard being S-K-I- just one B

I had forgotten to blog about our last night in California. It was the most memorable for sure.
We left Disneyland later than we had hoped. We left at eight o'clock and still needed to eat and get to Long Beach. This, as I have mentioned before, was with Cole in pee soaked pants after waiting too long in line for Splash Mountain. I may, or may not have given him the go ahead to pee in his pants after they had become wet on the ride. I can't recall.
Anyway, we got there in a timely enough manner, then got lost for 15 minutes or so. I was getting the panics. The LBC has been hard for Snoop Dogg at times, I thought it might eat the Skiby's for lunch. Anyway, crisis adverted, we found our way to our hotel which was as close to the airport as I had hoped so I was happy. We checked in, getting situated for our 7:00 am departure the next morning, set the alarm for 5:15 (yikes)...getting ready is taking forever, back and forth to the car a million times. Nolan needs to get gas in the rental car so that they do not charge us $7.99 a gallon. I kiss him goodbye and he mentions his fear of his unknown surroundings, something I had given no thought but now I'm really worried about. Making the fear even greater is his terrible sense of direction., he wanders off singing some Gin and Juice. This task takes forever, I get worried, I call to check on him and he is not answering his cell phone! Now I'm about to cry.... finally he's back, too much luggage to answer the phone.
In the room, Cole's picking on Cy who's already fallen asleep, they both start to cry. I throw Cy in bed with Nolan (a wise choice as you will learn in a moment - and super random, I hate to sleep with my kids) and climb in bed to settle Cole down. It's after ten now, at least an hour and a half later then I wanted us to get to bed.
Everyone is quiet and settled until about 10:30 when I hear Cy puking all over the bed....thank goodness I had put him in bed with Nolan. He puked ALL over the bed, the bedding, the sheets, Nolan, his pj's, himself. I clean him up while Nolan goes down and gets new bedding. I make the bed, Nolan takes a shower. Let's try this again.
Ok, all's well until 11:15 when Cole sits up in bed and I grab the garbage can thinking he is going to puke and smack him in the face with it, bringing him to a full melt down. Apparently, he was just rolling over. Whoops! Now he is crying and crying and crying some more. I takes me a good 20 minutes to get him calmed down. Worrying about waking the people next to us the entire time. Finally he falls back to sleep.
All is quiet (expect for the horribly squeaky double beds we are sleeping in that are rock hard and very noisy) until about 11:45ish when the stinking fire detector starts beeping and flashing because the battery is low. This cannot be happening!! We tried to ignore this for about a half an hour. Nolan gives in and goes to the front desk, gets a 9 volt and is trying to install it in the dark on a rolling chair. I come over to hold the chair for him and he sets off the smoke detector. It is blaring!!! Now I have the giggles so much so that I can't hold the chair still, the alarm stops, now I need a pee break. Come back out and Nolan has given up on the alarm, it is hanging from the ceiling, wires and all, but at least it is quiet.
Back to bed.
I had finally fallen asleep close to 1:00 a.m. when I heard Cole hitting the floor, he had rolled out of bed. In a moment that will cost me my Mother of the Year award, I could not even help him up because I was laughing so hard. Poor little buddy.
Anyway, after that it was useless. I couldn't stop getting the giggles and had given up on the idea of getting any sleep. Cole was sleeping crazy, thrashing all around and talking in his sleep.
I think our exhaustion actually worked in our favor this night. I was too tired to get mad about it .
It was all so funny until the alarm went off at 5:15. NOTHING is funny in the 5 o'clock hour.
We had a successful trip home. Poor Nolan, we dropped him off at work on the way home from the airport. The boys and I went immediately to La Puente, we needed comfort food, and then home for "movie night" at noon featuring more Disney, Toy Story 2. After that, all of us settled down for an afternoon nap. That was amazing!
It is a night we will not soon forget and hope never to repeat.

3 comments:

Stef said...

I was laughing so hard while I read this. Sounds like one of our vacations. Glad everyone made it home in one piece. Sometimes those are the best memories.

All About M.E.('s) said...

Nice play-by-play. Sounds sucky for you guys, but it was great entertainment to read.

Chel said...

I love it!!!! Thanks for the laugh. I can just see you giggling. You have got to just love nights like that. If things went the way we always planned, we wouldn't have half the laughs!!! Love ya Chel