Monday, November 24, 2008

Oh, Bring us some carrot pudding!?!

I'm finding the older I get, the more I long for the past and for tradition. Growing up, my Grandma Mary was an excellent cook and one of her specialties was Carrot Pudding. It was a Thanksgiving staple. I talked my mom into helping me make it for the first time. She did most of the work, I'm fighting off a cold and my head is in the clouds today. Cole was being a big helper pushing the buttons on the processor and covering his ears, no loud noises for that one. Anyway, I have always loved carrot pudding but making it may have turned me off. The ingredients are just not right. See photo for grossness.






Here we are with our finished product. I have money on my kids unwillingness to try any. We are spending Thanksgiving with Nolan's family this year. We each have our own things we "require" for holiday meals, so I thought I would contribute part of our tradition.
Needless to say we did cook a batch and despite the random ingredients and less than desirable appearance it was DELICIOUS. Thanks for the help mom and Grandma- who translated her recipe from her memory to paper.


If anyone is interested in trying it here's the recipe, it's actually very easy:

Ingredients:

1 1/2 c. flour, 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. soda, 1 c. sugar, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, 1/2 C. brown sugar,(dry ingredients - mix in large bowl, set to side).
Use processor to chop 1 C. of each: carrots, potatoes, apples. add 1 small jar of crushed pineapple, 1 C. chopped pecans and 1 stick of butter.
Stir all ingredients together.
The you can either, bottle and steam for 3 to 4 hours or cover in the microwave and cook for about 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and serve with rum sauce poured over the top. Hmmm! Good.